Studying for the USMLE step 2 exam will require the expertise and guidance of a qualified and experienced coach or tutor. This way, you can improve your chances of passing the exam the first time and perhaps even achieve a top score. Keep in mind that the Step 2 CK exam assesses your ability to apply your scientific knowledge in a clinical setting, and it will cover two areas: disease categories and physician tasks. Here are five factors to keep in mind when choosing the right coach for USMLE step 2 preparation:
- A board-certified and licensed M.D. – The best knowledge and guidance will come from doctors themselves. After all, they would not be licensed medical doctors if they did not pass or take the USMLE step 2 CK exam. A doctor will draw from his or her personal experience and use that to help and guide you, and build your confidence.
- The class setting – USMLE step 2 preparation classes were traditionally held in an actual classroom, but these days, courses are already available online. You may want to consider a coach that offers online tutoring, so you can save time and money.
- The method of teaching –Look for a USMLE step 2 CK preparation coach that maintains a small class size, ideally with a maximum of five to six students. Review the coach’s approach to learning and preparing for the exam. It should include self-assessment and mock exams, too.
- One-on-one teaching – If you are not comfortable being in a group, consider hiring a tutor that is flexible and capable of hosting one-on-one classes.
- Good feedback – You should hire a coach that has a good track record of helping students pass the USMLE step 2 exam. Hence, look up testimonials and reviews about the coach to verify his or her capability and reputation.